Wednesday, June 14, 2006

America @%&$ Yeah!

As I sit here starving myself in preparation for the upcoming Slaughter I turned to my iTunes playlist for some tunes as I surf the net and other Shamrockish things that hold my attention. As the playlist play I'm reading an article about the SCAR and an old song comes on. David Bowies "I'm Afraid of Americans" this lil ditty was also co-written with Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails fame. As I sat and listened to the lyrics something came over me. Is this really what Europe thinks of us? So I go to Morpheus (My music/music videos download site) and DL the video. The video is very good because it's really a tool for showing what gansta rap and the media have done to stigmatize the utter violence that occurs in America. I mean look at the amount of horrible crap pumped into our news hungry minds every day. Sex with teachers, Bikini strangler, World's scariest police chases, Tupac murder, Pimp my ride, etc , etc ,etc. Well the rest of the world is seeing this too. Rap music is by far the most popular form of music on the market today..worldwide. Americans rhymin' on the mic about busting caps and sellin' rock jus' to make ends meet cuz "The Man" be beatin' me downz constantly saturate the airwaves worldwide. I assume this would leave a huge impression on Europeans. The video also deals with the stereotype seen through a Britons eyes that we as Americans are a gun toting,fast car loving, boob worshipping, violent bunch with no control over our anger. Is this true? ....Hmmm that I think is a very good question. On my right index(trigger)finger I have a scar that is a constant reminder of the one of many times I have lost control of the Irish in me.

As the video progresses the chorus changes to "God is an American". Why? ...Does he think we are blessed? Is it because we have the right to choose, to bear arms , to fight? Are Americans more "In Gods image" than Europeans? I am confused on this statement. I mean it doesn't make me mad it just make me think "Why would he say this" Britain has its fair share of churches but is it on the same level as America? Maybe there is no real answer to this question maybe it was simply said to make us think. Ok then I'll think about it.

shamrock moment of ZEN caution Graphic lyrics

18 Comments:

At Wednesday, June 14, 2006, Blogger Jake said...

Bro, I wouldn't allow David Bowie to shape your thoughts on what Europe, especially Great Britain, thinks about us as whole. Just remember that media and the entertainment industry are at least twice as belligerent and irresponsible over there than it is here. I'm not making excuses for their oft shameful behavior, but I would argue they are more likely suffering from the "Old World" complex, a new form of Western jealousy over the United States.

Also, I'd like to note that the finest Sport Utility Vehicle on the planet originated in England. No I'm afraid it's not a Dodge Ram.

*clears throat*

The Landrover Discovery

 
At Thursday, June 15, 2006, Blogger jbrookins said...

Wait jake you mean the Russian UAZ isn't THE perfect SUV?

 
At Thursday, June 15, 2006, Blogger kpgooders said...

I know my fair share of British folks (I'm marrying one!) and they don't all think that way. Or at least to that extreme.

My man's born and raised English, and an active Royal Marine Commando and he LOVES that I say what I think, love my country loud and proud, and can shoot better than everyone he knows, marines or otherwise.

And you only accept blogger comments, (I can comment on Jake's through the 'other' button) so I had to create a whole blogger account just to comment on your blog, you should feel special :o)

 
At Thursday, June 15, 2006, Blogger Jake said...

jbrookins- Ah yes, the Russian UAZ... a fine specimen indeed. I must admit, I am partial to my Discovery (which Shamrock here calls a Yuppie car) but I must concede that the UAZ is definitely a better SUV than my Discovery. However, I would also point out that the UAZ still begs to hold the jockstrap of it's first cousin, the Defender. And I am not the only one who thinks so... http://www.4wdonline.com/Mil/UAZ/UAZ.html

But, the point is- the Dodge Ram is for Grandpa. On a farm. In a cornfield. In North Dakota. etc. etc.

Shamrock- fix your comment thingy for kpgooders. And dammit if the rabbits want to wear glasses then let the rabbits wear glasses.

 
At Friday, June 16, 2006, Blogger Shamrock7 said...

kpgooders: Thank you i do feel special. I have fixed the comments page for you and others that may need this feature. Please come again and enjoy the rants.

Jake:Big Red will destroy you! Once you engage him in combat he will be forced to take you out!

 
At Friday, June 16, 2006, Anonymous Kath said...

Hey thanks for "fixing" the comments! I will certainly be back, if Jake recommends you, then you must be good. And my name is Kath, nice to meet you.

 
At Friday, June 16, 2006, Blogger Shamrock7 said...

Kath: Your welcome and yes I am good!

 
At Friday, June 16, 2006, Blogger Blue2Green said...

I thought huge boobs, fast cars and guns were the things that made America great. Besides, David Bowie went through that whole facist phase where he wanted facist government for GB. He's definately weird. And the rest of the world should be afraid of American becasue we can kick their ass! We can enter a country, defeat their military, and topple their government in a matter of DAYS!

 
At Saturday, June 17, 2006, Blogger Jenna Howard said...

Jake said "read this blog".

I don't know when I started listening to him. Or even why. Hmmph.

Glad I did though. Off to catch up on my reading.

 
At Sunday, June 18, 2006, Blogger Shamrock7 said...

Welcome Jenna I have read and heard so much about you. Please come and join the rant anytime

 
At Sunday, June 18, 2006, Blogger Jenna Howard said...

Uh-oh. I don't know whether to say believe the good or believe the bad.

 
At Monday, June 19, 2006, Blogger Shamrock7 said...

Jenna: Oh know I just observe. No judgement passed

 
At Monday, June 19, 2006, Blogger Jon said...

First of all Jake... I agree with Shamrock that the Land Rover is a yuppie car. Plus the Ram isn't a SUV it's a truck, and any truck can kick the crap out of any SUV anytime. So I vote for Shamrock.

 
At Monday, June 19, 2006, Blogger Shamrock7 said...

HAHAHA thank you jon you are in the cool club

 
At Monday, June 19, 2006, Blogger Jon said...

Sweet... I always wanted to be part of a Cool Club but the one at my middle school wouldn't let me in because I liked Star Wars... but that snuff is completely made up for now.

 
At Tuesday, June 20, 2006, Blogger Jenna Howard said...

No judgment? Sweet! Because elsewhere I get nothin' but grief. Nothing but!

And I am soooo not getting in the middle of the car/SUV/truck debate. My mama didn't raise no fools. Boys and their toys...sacred stuff. Although I've been enjoying the battle immensely. It's very grr even if Jake does seem to be losing. Although, I can be bribed to pick sides.

 
At Wednesday, June 21, 2006, Blogger Jake said...

Jon- E tu Brute?

 
At Wednesday, June 21, 2006, Blogger Jon said...

Jake-
it's not my fault that you don't have good taste in cars. Besides I stabbed you in the front.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home