Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Smooth

Today is a good day. I'm sitting here this morning listening to one of my favorite sounds...Jazz. Miles Davis actually. It's just so calming and fingersnappin'. I dunno why but this morning I woke up in a pissy funk. I turned the "boobtube" on for some news but I couldn't handle it. Couldn't handle Sportscenter either...ugh! I then tried MTV2 which was a crunkified waste of time YEEAAHHH!..So I turned it to Fuse and wouldn't you know it....YEEAHH! He was there as well. So I went off on a very explicit rant about the societal and intellectual stripmining of Americas youth and turned the T.V. off. Well I just couldn't shake my funk. Then my eyes glance upon one of my concert posters in the "JazzRoom"
"Miles Davis Quintet". I thought "It's been awhile man" which of course Miles answered "It's cool baby". Well after the Shamrock Princess left I fired up the iTunes and was immediately bathed in that smooth soulful trumpet. And the ever so soft high-hat and snare drum. I close my eyes and sink into the music. And all I can think is.... "Smooth".



You either love or hate Jazz. It's like a dry red wine either you love or hate it. I personally dislike a dry Merlot but I'll drink the heck outta a Moscato! I guess it was my 3 years living in Italy that turned me onto Jazz and wine. A couple of friends and I were in Venezia(Venice) for the very first time. Just came off the train and BAM! Venice ..I mean Venice!.I could at the time speak alright Italian and asked one of the cafe patrons how to get to St. Marks Square. She told us and I thanked her and off we went. Of course all the others wanted to do was drink. And I'm not gonna lie I did too. We were young. As we made our way to the square I hear this soft somewhat funky sound coming from one of the side streets. I stopped the group "listen" I said. They all heard it"So what lets get to a bar man!" "Maybe that is a bar" I said. And off we went to investigate. I don't remember what the place was called but it was the coolest bars I have ever been to. My first jazz bar ever. The bartender spoke really good english and I asked him " Who is this" he answered "Miles Davis Take Five". I was awakened that day to the sounds of smooth. We stayed at that jazzbar well into the night. Almost missed the last train home which at that point I didn't care. I had been sitting in the coolest place on earth. Learning about Italian wine, women, culture, and jazz. Life just moves slower when I listen to jazz. The jihadists, Murthas, OEF/OIF issues all seem to be put on hold for as long as I let Miles play. Eventually I'll have to start the day "officially" but for now I'm in Venezia listening to good jazz and drinking some good wine.

8 Comments:

At Wednesday, June 28, 2006, Blogger Jake said...

Yeah, I'm learning a squiggly alphabet.

Good post man. I guess the Irish are literate after all.

 
At Wednesday, June 28, 2006, Blogger Shamrock7 said...

Jake: nice....real nice....*sigh*

 
At Wednesday, June 28, 2006, Blogger Jenna Howard said...

Miles Davis. Yummy. He's like this rich, chocolate mousse my brother makes: a feast for the senses. Hm...I wonder if I can get Bro to whip me up some mousse for his birthday. Bernard Callebaut chocolate, real cream. Yummy. Wait...where was I?

Oh yeah, hating you for being in Venice. Harrumph.

Remember: Jake is still evolving. Be patient with him.

 
At Wednesday, June 28, 2006, Blogger Shamrock7 said...

Jenna: Don't hate me what you need to do is get on a plane and go. You will fall in love with the whole country. As far as Jake I'll try patience for a change.

 
At Wednesday, June 28, 2006, Anonymous Kath said...

I love jazz, used to go listen to my younger brother's high school jazz band - they were very good. Don't listen as much as I should, though.

And now, for some odd reason, I'm craving chocolate mousse...

 
At Wednesday, June 28, 2006, Blogger Shamrock7 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Wednesday, June 28, 2006, Blogger Jenna Howard said...

Venice is on my list. I'm not allowed to make any rash decision for "6 months...at least." especially since my rash decision is to sell my condo, quit my job and become a bum. I think I'd make a very good bum... travelling the world, laptop in hand, freeload off friends & family around the world.

Hard to hate a guy giving me fashion advice. Yeehaw.

 
At Wednesday, June 28, 2006, Anonymous Pamela said...

Been watching some of my cousins get dual US/Italian citizenship based on ancestry (makes them eligible for more jobs over there). Can’t say it’s not tempting.

I always associate Take Five with Dave Brubeck. Going to have to hunt down that to which you refer. At least for me, jazz and wine are interesting because there’s always something more to experience.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home